Ten Characteristics of a Good Hotel Controller
A primer on Restaurant Ownership By David W. White, CPA, CFE, ISHC
What characteristics are embodied in a good hotel controller? There is no definitive list, but based on my experience here are ten qualities that can be regarded as essential:
- 1. Current knowledge of industry "best practices", both inside and outside the accounting department.
- 2. Proactive.
- 3. Unafraid to say "no".
- 4. Current knowledge of the competitive lodging supply marketing landscape.
- 5. Appropriately and effectively communicates with all levels of employees, management and ownership.
- 6. Ability to garner support from other departments when needed.
- 7. Actively involved in industry associations.
- 8. Fraud aware.
- 9. Comfortable with a role that is continually shaped in response to evolving technology and greater focus on revenues.
- 10. Recognizes that seeking help is a sign of strength.
© Copyright 2011
Licensed by the California Board of Accountancy
Accounting and Consulting to the Hospitality Industry
Disclaimer: Information provided on the World Wide Web by the firm is intended for reference only. The information contained herein is designed solely to provide guidance to the reader, and is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice based on specific factual situations. Information on this web site does NOT constitute professional accounting, tax or legal advice and should not be interpreted as such. Further, the firm is not responsible for the content of any web site for which a link is provided. The reader accepts the information as is and assumes all responsibility for the use of such information.